Pages

Saturday, April 13, 2013

Carnitas

My mother-in-law is from Peru and she cooks the best Carnitas. Carnitas are pieces of roasted pork with vegetables. You can serve them over rice or in soft tortillas. They are delicious. My Husband begged me to learn how to make them and I being the "kind wife" that I am, obliged. So here is the recipe and I hope you and your family enjoy!


Cook Time


Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 3 hours
Ready in: 3 hours 10 min
Yields: Serves 8-10 people


Ingredients


  • 2.5 lbs Pork Butt
  • 1.5 tsp adobo
  • 1.5 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp ground corriander
  • 2 tsp garlic
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 3/4 cup baby carrots, whole
  • 3/4 medium Spanish Onion, cut into big chunks
  • 1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
  • 1 cup water

Steps

  1. Cut the pork roast into thick pieces. Lay pieces flat and sprinkle on half of the seasonings. Just sprinkle a light and even layer over one side of the meat. Then put the meat in a big pot spice side down and sprinkle with the remaining spices. Add the vinegar, water, carrots, and onions. Bring to a simmer and then cover with foil and a lid. Cook for about an hour. Turn the meat and then cook for another hour. You can check to see if you need to add more spices according to your preferences before you broil. 
  2. Pour everything into a 9X13 baking pan and broil. I used an electric broiler, but I'm not sure you find those anymore. Broil for about an hour turning the meat every 15 min to make sure it doesn't burn.The fatty pieces may need to stay in longer than the meaty pieces.
  3. You can shred the meat with a fork now and serve on a sandwich, tortillas, rice, etc. I served it with a mix of onions, vinegar, lemon, crushed red pepper, and cilantro on top. On the side, I served the vegetables that were in the pot and cornbread. Click here for the best cornbread recipe ever! It was yummy! Another good way to serve Carnitas is with some warm flour tortillas, refried bean and pico de gallo. Click here to see the recipe for my son's favorite rice that will also go great on the side. 


No comments:

Post a Comment